Web content is a vast area and it includes various kinds of writing such as article, blogs,newsletters, press releases, website contents etc.
Writing for the Web is a unique process. It is completely different from writing for print media. People read differently on the Web. They are much more action oriented when they read on Web. They look for some particular information. They just scan through the page.
Therefore while writing content for the Web, one should follow the instructions given below.
- Knowing the reader
- Getting the right content to the right person
- Keeping content short and simple
- Write active content
- Maintaining a flow in the thought process
- Put content in context
- Write for how people search
- Writing attractive heading
- Writing good summaries
- Editing the content
1. KNOWING THE READER
- Know your readers and think like them.
- Write for your readers not for your own satisfaction.
- Find out the particular style and tone that will influence the reader.
- Understand that everybody is not your audience.
EXAMPLE: When you are writing about a dog house, your target audience is a pet owner and not someone who is looking for a plumber.
2. GETTING THE RIGHT CONTENT TO THE RIGHT PERSON (for website)
- Get the right thing to the right person at the right time.
- Your content should drive action.
EXAMPLE: A person is looking for some information about a hotel inParis. You should definitely talk about its facilities, services, location etc. However it is also necessary to write something that will drive them to action immediately. You can write about the special offers. This will surely draw more attention.
3. KEEPING CONTENT SHORT & SIMPLE
- Write short sentences that should not contain more than 10 to 15 words.
- Write short paragraphs with sub headings.
- A paragraph should contain 40 – 70 words.
- A heading should contain 8 words or less.
- Use bullets and numbering wherever possible.
- Use simple language.
- Avoid using passive voice.
- Don’t use fancy or heavy words.
- Put one idea in one sentence.
- Get to the point directly.
4. WRITE ACTIVE CONTENT
- Write from the point of view of your reader.
- Write compelling content: The reader has visited the website to know something or to do something, more specifically to buy a product or a service. Every sentence you write should motivate them towards a solution, a purchase or a subscription.
5. MAINTAINING A FLOW IN THE THOUGHT PROCESS
- Maintain a link between the sentences.
- Maintain a link between two paragraphs.
- You can deal with different ideas in different paragraphs but the ideas should be linked to each other.
6. PUT CONTENT IN CONTEXT
- Never write something out of context or irrelevant.
- Get your point straight.
EXAMPLE: If you are writing on a dog house there is no need to describe how loyal and friendly dogs are or how the owners can pamper their dogs with dog accessories.
7. WRITE FOR HOW PEOPLE SEARCH
- Use the keywords in a proper manner.
- Before you start writing plan how you are going to use the keywords in the content.
8. WRITE ATTRACTIVE HEADINGS
- Give headings to the paragraphs.
- Keep the headings short and attractive.
- The heading should help the readers to understand what the paragraph contains.
- Try to keep the headings to eight words or less.
- Include the keywords in heading if possible.
- Be precise and clear.
9. WRITE GOOD SUMMARIES
- The summary you write should answer questions like who, what, where, when, how etc.
- The objective of a summary is to make people want to read on.
- Keep your summary factual.
- It should convey the basic idea of the article.
10. EDIT THE CONTENT
- Edit your content when you finish writing.
- Check for spelling mistakes and grammatical errors.
- See whether the content seems to be good enough to influence its target audience.